Cinco de Mayo is quickly approaching. I hope that you are as excited as I am for this holiday. Even though I am not Mexican, I never resist a celebration that includes tequila and guacamole. If you are like me, then you will love this post. In todays VG Invites blog I am sharing my recipe for how to make the perfect guacamole. At the end of this post I have included a FREE INSTANT DOWNLOAD for a Margarita Bar sign that you can use for your Cinco de Mayo party. Keep scrolling to see more...
The trick to making the perfect guacamole is to use good, ripe avacados. You can check for the ripeness by gently pressing the outside of the avocado. If there is no give, the avocado is not ripe yet. If there is a lot of give, the avacado may be past ripe and not good. If there is a little give, the avocado is perfectly ripe. Recipe and Free printable is below.
3 ripe avacados
1/3 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
1 small tomato diced
1/4 cup red onion minced
1-2 chili peppers, stems and seeds removed, minced
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 dash of hot pepper sauce
Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling chilis and do not touch your eyes or the area near your eyes for several hours.
Cut avacados in half. Remove the pit. (tip: set one of the pits aside to add to your guacamole to keep it fresh and from turning brown.) Scoop out the flesh of the avacado with a spoon and place into a bowl.
Roughly mash the avacado with a fork. Be sure that the avacado is a little chunky.
Add in salt and lime juice. The lime juice helps to delay the avacados from turning brown as well.
Add in chopped onion, tomato, cilantro, black pepper, and chiles. Use two or more chili peppers if you like it caliente. Use only a half of a chili if you like your guacamole on the mild side.
Add in sour cream. Cover in an air tight plastic container and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
The trick to making the perfect guacamole is to use good, ripe avacados. You can check for the ripeness by gently pressing the outside of the avocado. If there is no give, the avocado is not ripe yet. If there is a lot of give, the avacado may be past ripe and not good. If there is a little give, the avocado is perfectly ripe.
Download Your FREE Margarita Bar Sign Below
Are you having a Cinco de Mayo party? I have the perfect instant download margarita bar sign to help add to your festivities. You can edit the text by using the text fields in Acrobat Reader. Be sure that you open your margarita sign in Acrobat Reader because it won't work properly in other programs. See below for your FREE downloadable margarita bar sign. Do you love this design? I also have matching invitations and a taco bar sign that you can download instantly and edit using Acrobat reader. All of the fonts are included. All you have to do is type in your party info into the text fields and print from home or your local copy center. It is that easy.
Visit again later this week to see my recipe for mini taco appetizers. They are a big hit at parties. Do you have a fun Cinco de Mayo party idea. Share them with the audience below. We would love to see your comments.
I love the smell of banana bread baking in the oven. It is reminiscent of my childhood when my mom would make fresh baked banana bread. The riper the bananas, the sweeter the taste. Keep scrolling for my spin on mom's traditional banana bread recipe. Hint, I made them into muffins and topped them with shredded coconut. Yum!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbl shredded coconut
Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Stir in almonds. Fold in flour mixture. Add almonds and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans. Top with granulated sugar and shredded coconut.
Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes. Bake large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes.
These are so good. I find it hard to resist eating more than just one muffin. They are perfect to serve for brunches and family reunions.
Invitation Design Update: I am now winding down from Easter and gearing up for summer and all of the fun festivities associated with the season. I know that summer is still a couple of months away. However, I couldn't resist sharing with you my latest designs for editable text family reunion invitations.
Whenever there is an occasion that calls for tequila I am all in. And there is no occasion more worthy of tequila than Cinco de Mayo. With the holiday quickly approaching I thought it would be fun to plan a little get together with the girls. May 5th falls on a Friday this year, making it the perfect night for a party. I will be serving up plenty of my pretty Margarita Jello Shots in lime wedges. Scroll down for the recipe.
I found this wonderful hand crafted blanco tequila made by a local vendor in Florida. The name is Tease Me and it features an image of a mermaid on the label. Whenever possible, I like to use ingredients from local vendors. However, you may use whatever tequila you like. Blanco (or silver) is best because it is clear and wont give your jello shots a funny yellow/brown color that you might get from a gold tequila.
2 Packets of Unflavored Gelatin
1 1/2 Cups of Simply Limeade (or any brand of limeade)
1/2 Cup of Blanco (silver) Tequila
2 TBL of granulated sugar
Cut limes in half and scoop out the insides and sprinkle a little granulated sugar on the inside. Heat the limeade in a pan over medium heat and stir in the packets of gelatin slowly until they dissolve. Add the limeade and gelatin mixture to a pourable container. Pour in tequila. Stir until combined. Place lime halves into a muffin tin to keep them upright. Pour in the liquid until each half is full and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Slice into slices right before serving.
Are you planning a Cinco de Mayo party? Perhaps you will like these invites. Instantly download them and edit the text in Acrobat Reader. ♥ I've taken all the hard work out of creating your invitations. The image you see is on the file. All you have to do is type in your details, save and print from home or your local copy center. To keep things simple the font and sizes of text are set. The only work you need to do is add your personal information. If you would like a customized file or printed invitations, I am happy to help. Click on the invites below for more info.
8 Ballerina TuTu Party Ideas That Won't Break The Bank
Your little girl is important to you. So of course you want to make her tutu Birthday party nothing less than special. Many mom's and dad's find that the Birthday party of their little girl's dreams can cost a small fortune. Money spent that can otherwise be set aside to begin her college tuition fund.
No need to fret. VG Invites has some solutions for your party needs that won't break the bank. Lets take a look at how you can have an amazing tutu Birthday party while still being frugal.
1. Little Girl's Love To Play Dress Up: Make tutus and crowns for each girl attending your party, If you are crafty, this can be a great party favor for your Birthday girl's guests.
2. Food: As you may have guessed, food is my favorite part of any celebration. I love to cook and I enjoy entertaining. However, aside from the venue, food can be one of the most expensive parts of throwing a party. However, you can easily cut the cost of food at a kid's party with these simple tips. Make it a pot luck event. Supply the burgers and hot dogs, and ask family members to bring a side dish. Buy your hot dogs, burgers, and buns in bulk. This will save you a lot of money. Or you can skip the meal and just serve snacks, chips, and of course, lets not forget the Birthday cake.
3. Speaking of Venue: When and where? These are the first and most important questions that you need to answer when planning your little girl's party. If it is summer time or you live in a part of the country where the climate is warmer, consider your local public park. Many parks have a designated picnic area that is perfect for hosting a family party. If a park is not an option, consider having your party at home or a family member's home.
4. The Guest List: The guest list for your Birthday party will naturally affect the cost of your event. The more people you plan to invite, the more seating and food you will need. If you want to keep costs down, keep the guest list small. Perhaps only inviting family members and close friends.
5. Lets Not Forget The Invitations and Decorations: Part of throwing a fun party is the decorations and invitations. But they can eat up a good portion of your funds. Choose a color and theme for your child's party and stick to it. Since we are talking about a tutu ballerina themed party you might consider these pretty invitations and bunting with some hot pink and white balloons.
If you are short on time and need to get your invites out right away, instantly download your invitation like the one above for $9. ♥ VG Invites has taken all the hard work out of creating your invitations. The image you see is on the file. All you have to do is type in your details, save and print from home or your local copy center. To keep things simple the font and sizes of text are set. The only work you need to do is add your personal information. If you would like a customized file I am happy to help. Visit www.diyInvitationDivas.etsy.com for more information. Or you may order printed invitations at www.zazzle.com/vginvites
6. Fun and Games: Fun and games are a fairly traditional part of a Birthday party. So if it is your wish to go with tradition, I have an old favorite that won't cost a lot, if anything at all. Musical chairs will add life to any ballerina's tutu party. If you have never played this game as a child, I will wonder a tiny bit about you. Just kidding. The game is simple. All you need are kids, music, and chairs. Have one less chair than there are children. When the music plays the children dance around the chairs. When it stops, everyone has to sit in a chair. The one who is out has to stand aside. Then you take one chair away and repeat the process until there is one kid left. I loved this game as a kid and remember that it kept me and my friends entertained for hours.
7. Getting By With Help From Friends: Most likely, at least one other person in your family has thrown a child's Birthday party. It stands to reason, then, that they probably know a little something about planning a party. You might even have a talented musician or magician in your family who is willing to chip in their skills to save you some money. Don't be shy about asking for help from your loved ones, as they might be delighted to help.
8. Let Them Eat Cake: What little girl doesn't love Birthday cake? And what Birthday party would be complete without one? The Birthday cake is the highlight of the whole party. The cake of your dreams doesn't have to cost a small fortune. Here are some suggestions. You can buy a cake mix, frosting, sprinkles and candles. Have dad take the guest of honor out for a few hours while you and the siblings work on baking and decorating the cake. It is a fun family project that you all will enjoy. If you are strapped for time, look to your local supermarket or bakery for a pre-made cake.
If you follow these tips, your child's Birthday party doesn't have to drain your bank account. Do you have ideas for saving money on a child's Birthday party? VG Invites would love to hear them. Won't you share them in the comments section below?
VG Invites Pink Wedding Invitation Set is a favorite among brides. Your wedding details are framed with painted watercolor roses and greenery in lush shades of pinks and spring greens. A modern yet organic choice for spring or summer weddings featuring fresh roses and green leaves in a popular wedding color.
I love the weekends because it is when I take the time to focus on what I enjoy most. Designing my invitation line. This weekend I am sharing a few inspiring finds. Pinterest is my go to for getting my creative juices flowing. It is where I found this beautiful cake by I Do Wedding Cakes and couldn't resist getting started on a line to compliment the pretty pinks, florals and stunning golds.
I always look forward to unveiling my latest invitation designs. I am constantly inspired by the latest trends that I find on social media. The spring florals and pretty pinks blend seamlessly with the faux gold making this brunch and bubbly invitation the perfect segway into your up coming bridal or baby shower. Order Brunch and Bubbly here >> Printable Invitation $25 or order printed cards. Keep scrolling to see more variations of this collection.
Whenever I am dreaming up my invitation designs I like to include concepts for different events. Spring is such a fun season for first communions. Florals help to usher in the season marking the end to a long winter. Charming watercolor flowers adorn this beautiful invite that your friends and family will love receiving. Order First Communion or Baptism here >> Printable Invitation $25 or order printed cards.
My pink and gold floral line includes invitations for a brunch and bubbly, Christian or Catholic events, and a Baby Girl Naming Day or a Bat Mitzvah invitation. However, I am happy to customize your invitation to compliment all of your special events. Order Baby Girl Naming Day Invitation or Bart Mitzvah Invites here >> Printable Invitations $25 or order printed cards.
Editable Text Invitations are perfect for when you are short on time. That was the inspiration behind my DIY Invitation Divas line. I've taken all the hard work out of creating your invites. The image you see is on your downloadable file. All you have to do is type in your details, save and print from home or your local copy center. To keep things simple the font and sizes of text are set. The only work you need to do is add your personal information. Find each of these invitations and more pretty printables at www.diyInvitationDivas.etsy.com
Party time means cupcakes. VG Invites fell in love with these beautiful floral cupcake wrappers that compliment the invitation design and wanted to share them with you. Order yours and receive free shipping by clicking here >> 36 Cupcake Wrappers $11.49
Have you seen any fun cakes lately? Share them with us in the comments section below. We love new inspirations!